Salt and Pepper grinders revisited

Finally got round to fixing this project after 15 years! I had turned a pair of grinders on dads lathe some 15 years ago but I never liked the salt grinder. The pepper one looked lovely, nice balanced curves and I tried to do something different with the salt but it just looked kind of frumpy and blah!

So, here’s the new salt grinder. Salvaged a nice holly log from the front garden and just managed to get enough length out of it despite the shakes. Tried really hard to match the shapes and got pretty close. Perhaps 1mm thicker in the body but I was weary of making it too thin. The holly was lovely to turn, like white soap. Like what I’ve done with the brown pepper and white salt…

Now we have a matching pair, Dede got the first grind onto a Jules Moussaka.